- Chicken - 1/2 of 1 whole cut through the center.
- vinegar -2 tbsp
- dark rum - 1 tbsp
- Scotch bonnet peppers (or habaneros), with seeds, chopped - 1(these are extremely spicy peppers so handle with care)
- Onion - 1/2 chopped
- Spring onion - 2 green part chopped
- ginger - 1/2 inch piece chopped(1 tsp)
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- spice mixture - 2 tsp (mix of ground all spice,cinnamon,nutmeg,pepper and dried thyme leaves)
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - to taste
- Salt - to taste.
Method:For jerk paste
add vinegar, rum, hot peppers, onion, green onion tops, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and sugar into a blender and blend until it is an almost smooth paste.
Marinating the chicken.
Marinate the whole chicken or cut up chicken in the jerk paste,add salt to taste.
Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
Baking the chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.
Bake the chicken skin side up for 20 minutes .
Turn the chicken over and bake for another 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
Set your oven to broil mode and broil on high for 5 minutes turning occasionally to brown it.
Serve with rice and beans .