- Fish - cleaned and cut into medium pieces(2 whole medium sized Pompano , which is very similar to white Akoli or Butter fish )
- Kudam puli/cocum soaked in water - 4 pieces or to taste
- shallots, ginger, garlic and dry red chilly - crushed 1.5 cups(lots).
- Green chilies slit in the middle - 6 or 7
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Methi/fenugreek seeds - 1/4'th tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp.
- salt - to taste
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan - add the methi seeds and when it splutters add in the crushed shallots, ginger,garlic and dry red chilly and the Green chillies and turmeric powder.
Sauté for 5 minutes .
Pour in the Cocum water and add more water as needed to cover fish pieces and bring this to a boil .
Add salt and taste for the balance of salt,spice and sourness.
Add the fish pieces into the boiling curry and cook until the gravy is reduced - there should be some gravy but not too watery.
After you turn off the flame add in the curry leaves and coconut oil and keep the curry covered for flavors to blend.
This curry tastes better as it sits for a day and the flavors blend.