- Mackeral / Aiyala / Bangada - 2 medium large sized cleaned and cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- shallots - 3 crushed
- garlic - 2 cloves crushed
- ginger - 1 inch piece crushed
- coconut oil - 2 tbsp
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- green chilly - 2 slit
- red chilly powder - 2 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- green mango - 1 big peeled and cut into pieces as big as the fish pieces
into a claypot , add all of the ingredients except the coconut oil and curry leaves and pour in 2 cups of water and mix well with your hands .
cook this on a medium flame for about 10 minutes until the fish and mango are cooked .
reduce the flame to low and taste for salt , spice and sourness .
Adjust taste now and add the coconut milk and mix gently
allow it to warm up for a minute
turn the flame off and add the raw coconut oil and curry leaves on top of the hot curry mix lightly and cover with a lid and allow to sit for 30 minutes .
serve with rice