- Big sized Sardines - 10 cleaned and cut in 2
- Shallots - 8- 10 crushed roughly
- Garlic - 1 pod peeled and crushed coarsly
- Dry red chillies - 5 broken in 2
- Green chillies - 3 slit
- Ginger - 1 inch piece crushed coarsly
- Kokum/ kudam puli - 3 small pieces soaked in 1 cup hot water
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds /Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
Heat an Earthernware pan /ManChatty and add the coconut oil .
When the Oil heats up add the fenugreek seeds and let it splutter.
Add in the dry and green chillies, shallots, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
Add in the turmeric powder and mix well.
pour the Kokum along with the soaking water and mix.
Add one more cup of water and salt to taste .
allow the curry to boil , taste for salt and spice and sourness. The kokum will release its taste slowly as it cooks .
Add in the fish pieces and nestle it into the gravy.
cover and cook for 10 minutes.
When done the gravy should be just enough or slightly less than enough to cover the fish pieces slightly (not too much gravy should be left )
Serve with white rice .
If the curry is less sour add 1 more piece of kokum and leave it in the pan .
This curry can be kept outside without refrigerating for 2 days .