- fish - 5 or 6 approximately 1/2 kg ,cleaned and washed
- Raw Mango - 2 pleeled and cut ,you might have to reduce or increase depending on how sour the mango is.
- Green chillies - 6 slit
- shallots - 3 crushed + 2 sliced to temper
- Garlic - 5 cloves crushed
- thick coconut milk - 1 cup
- Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds - 1/4 tsp
- coconut oil - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
In a claypot /mann chatty add the washed fish,crushed shallot ,ginger ,garlic,slit green chillies , 1 spring curry leaves, chilly and turmeric powder , salt to taste and mango pieces .
Add a cup of water and salt to taste and bring to a simmer , Cook until the fish and mango pieces are cooked and the gravy is somewhat thick
Pour in the coconut milk and turn the flame off.
Do not boil after adding coconut milk, keep it covered.
In a frying pan ,heat coconut oil and splutter mustart seeds and methi seeds , add the shallots and remaining curry leaves and fry until shallots are golden brown.
Pour this onto the fish curry and keep covered for 30 minutes.
Serve with rice.