- Chicken - 1 medium sized , skinned and cut into 6- 8 pieces
- Light/ low sodium Soy sauce - 1 cup
- Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Fresh cracked pepper ( not powdered) - 2 tbsp
- Ginger - 2 inch piece crushed
- Garlic - 1 pod , around 12 cloves crushed
- Cornflour - 3 tbsp mixed in 1/2 cup water
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Vegetables of your choice - Onion, Carrot, Tomatoes , Potatoes, cauliflower , broccoli , mushroom, Squash ,baby corn etc are good choices.
Add the washed and drained chicken pieces along with soy sauce , vinegar , black pepper, garlic and ginger into a ziplock bag or a container with lid that can be refrigerated.
Keep it aside to marinate in the fridge for 4-5 hours.
When ready to cook , add the chicken and marinating juices into a pressure cooker and cover and cook for 1 whistle. Lower flame and keep cooking for another 3 minutes.
Turn the flame off and keep the cooker aside until the pressure is released.
When it has slightly cooled down - pick out the chicken pieces from the gravy and keep aside.
strain the gravy to remove any pieces if you like the sauce very fine , if you prefer a chunkier sauce just remove the ginger, garlic and big pepper pieces with a slotted spoon.
Keep the gravy aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the cooked chicken pieces until it starts to brown slightly.Keep aside.
In the same oil saute the vegetables that you want to use and keep aside.
Discard the remaining oil.
Add the strained gravy into the pan and bring to a simmer.
Pour in the cornflour mix and boil until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency .
You can serve the chicken with the sauteed vegetables and the gravy on the side OR
Add the fried chicke back into the gravy and braise it for another 5 minutes and serve .
It goes well with bread.