- Pork without fat - 1 kg (2lbs) cut into small 1/2 inch cubes .
- Garlic - 2 pods peeled
- Ginger - 2 inch piece chopped
- green chillies - 10 cut into rings
- meat masala crushed - 1 tsp (cardamon,fennel,cinnamon,pepper)
- Balsamic Vinegar - to taste (close to 1/2 cup)
- chilly powder - 4 tbsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- curry leaves - few springs
- Oil - as required
Marinate the pork cubes with salt and a few pinches of turmeric powder and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Heat 1/2 cup oil in a frying pan and fry the meat pieces until it is dark brown.You don't have to deep fry but shallow fry until the meat is well fried.
Pour off most of the oil and keep a few tbsp in the pan and splutter the mustard seeds.If the oil has too many dark bits of meat or spices in it discard this oil and use a fresh 2 tbsp of oil to splutter the mustard seeds.
Add in the ginger , garlic and green chillies and curry leaves ,crushed meat masala and fry for 2 minutes.
Add in the chilly powder and remaining turmeric powder and saute until raw smell is gone.
Add salt,vinegar and fried meat and mix well.
Taste for salt and sourness.Add in 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer and turn the flame off.
Let the pickle cool - As the pickle sits the fried meat will absorb the liquid - add boiled and cooled water as necessary if you like thick gravy , or it can be had in a thick dry form also .Adjust salt and vinegar to taste.