- Medium Shrimp - 20 (about 1 lb)
- Chorizo sausage - 1 link sliced thick
- Red,Green and yellow bell pepper - 1/4 cup chopped
- Onion - 1 small chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves chopped fine
- Tomatoes - 2 medium sized chopped
- Spring onion - 2 stalks chopped
- Saffron strands - 1/2 tsp soaked in 1/4 cup hot milk
- Short grain Spanish rice - 2 cups
- Water - 3 cups (dissolve the soup cubes in the water or use Chicken stock instead)
- Chicken Bullion cube - 4 cubes (you can substitute with chicken stock)
- Lime/Lemon - 1 cut into wedges and save few wedges for garnish.
- Parsley - 2 tbsp chopped
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Clean , de-vein, wash and pat the shrimp dry.
Sprinkle the shrimp with paprika, chopped garlic,salt and a tbsp of Lemon juice and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp Olive oil in a wide pan and add in the chorizo slices and fry for 2 minutes - remove from pan and keep aside.
The pan will have the oil flavored with chorizo in it - Add in the shrimp and saute of high heat for 2 minutes, remove from pan and keep aside.
Add remaining oil and the chopped onions, spring onion ,bell pepper and tomatoes and half of the parsley and stir fry until it starts to soften and brown slightly.
Add in the washed and drained rice and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock or the Water and bullion cubes and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and add in the saffron mixture and stir the rice well.
Add in the chorizo and Shrimp and tuck them into the rice.
Cover and cook again for an additional 15 minutes on medium flame without stirring until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
When the rice is cooked , turn the flame on high for about 30 seconds so that it forms a nice crust at the bottom of the pan.
A traditional Paella has a toasted rice bottom called socarrat.
Garnish with chopped parsley and lime wedges.