- Tilapia - 2 lb clean,skin and cut into medium pieces
- Kudam puli/cocum soaked in water - to taste
- shallots - 6 crushed
- ginger- 1.5 inch piece crushed
- garlic - 10 cloves crushed
- dry red chilly - 8 broken
- Green chilies slit in the middle - 6 or 7
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Methi/fenugreek seeds - 1/4'th tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- salt - to taste
- Water - as required
Heat vegetable oil in a pan - add the methi seeds and when it splutters add in the crushed shallots, ginger,garlic and dry red chilly and the Green chillies and turmeric powder.
Sauté for 5 minutes .
Pour in the Cocum water and add more water as needed to cover fish pieces and bring this to a boil .
Add salt and taste for the balance of salt,spice and sourness.
Add the fish pieces into the boiling curry and cook until the gravy is reduced - there should be some gravy but not too watery.
After you turn off the flame add in the curry leaves and coconut oil and keep the curry covered for flavors to blend.
This curry tastes better as it sits for a day and the flavors blend.