This is the traditional Kuttanadan recipe for preparing Paalu pizhinga Thravu Curry .It is usually served as a breakfast side dish for Appam or as a first course to accompany anything from Appam,Idiappam,Poori,Chappathi,Batoora or Puttu.
- Duck - 2 lbs(1/2 of 1 duck cut into small pieces )
- Onions - 2 sliced
- Coriander powder - 3 heaped TBSP
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 8 slit
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
- garlic - 10 cloves chopped
- Crushed meat masala - 1 tbsp(pepper,fennel,cardamom,cloves,cinnamon)
- Potato - 2 medium cut into medium chunks
- Thick coconut milk - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Vinegar - 2 Tbsp(to taste)
- Curry leaves - 3 springs
Heat oil in a pan and add the onion,ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute until soft.
Add in the crushed meat masala and coriander and turmeric powder and enough salt to taste and saute until the raw masala smell is gone.
Add in vinegar and duck pieces and mix well.
Cover and cook the duck for 45 minutes or until the duck is 3/4 th cooked, stir in between.
Add in the potato pieces and cover and cook until the duck and potato are cooked.
Add in the curry leaves and coconut milk and bring to a simmer(Do not boil after adding coconut milk).
Turn the flame off.
Best served with Palappam. Also pairs perfectly with rice.