- Duck - 1/2 of 1 (around 3 lbs)
- Onion - 3 medium sliced
- Ginger - 1.5 inch piece chopped
- Garlic - 1 pod peeled and chopped
- Green Chilly - 7
- Vinegar - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 3 springs
- Thick Coconut milk - 1.5 cups
- Coriander powder- 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Potato - 1 large peeled and cut into big chunks
- Garam masala -1 tsp (cardamom,pepper,cinnamon,cloves,fennel crushed )
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Clean,cut, wash and drain the duck and keep aside.
Add oil to a pan and add in the ginger,garlic,onion,green chillies, curry leaves and garam masla powder and saute until the onions are soft.
Add in the coriander and turmeric powder and salt to taste and saute until the raw smell is gone.
Add the duck pieces and vinegar and enough salt and stir well.
Cover and cook until the duck is 3/4'th cooked (about 30 minutes).The duck will give out enough water as it cooks ,but check in between to see if the curry gets too dry and add 1/4 cup of water if necessary.
Add in the Potato pieces and cook until duck and potatoes are cooked (another 20 minutes)
Pour in coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
Add more vinegar, salt , green chillies, crushed black pepper etc to adjust taste.
This curry tastes best with Palappam , Idiappam , puttu etc.