- Whole Fish - 1 (I used Pompano.about 1.5 lb clean and make gashes on it).
- Onion - 1 medium sized sliced thin
- Tomato - 2 small chopped
- Finely chopped ginger garlic - 1/2 tsp(you can use ginger garlic paste)
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Lime - 1/2
- salt - to taste
- Chilly powder - 1.5 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion powder - 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Thick coconut milk - 4 tbsp
- Coconut Oil or Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp
Wash drain and pat the fish dry and make a paste of 1 tbsp chilly powder , 1/4 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 of the lime juice, salt to taste, pepper powder , garlic and onion powder and apply on the fish and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish and keep aside.It is okay if the fish is not fully cooked.
In a pan add the coconut oil/ghee and saute the curry leaves and ginger garlic until raw smell is gone.
Add in the onions and saute until wilted
Add the 1/2 tbsp chilly powder, coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and saute for two minutes.
Add in the chopped tomatoes and mash with the back of the spoon and saute until cooked and oil starts separating.
Scoop up some of this masala and stuff it inside the fish cavity , save some to apply on the fish and leave a thin layer of masala on the bottom of the pan and place the fried fish on top of it. Apply the saved masala on top of the fish and drizzle the coconut milk on the fish.
Cover and cook on medium flame for 10 - 15 minutes.Shake the pan in between and make sure it doesn't stick .
Flip the fish over and roast again for another 10 minutes.