- Black chana/Kadala - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 3/4 cup (divide into 1/2 and 1/4 cup)
- coconut slices/thenga kothu - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Ashgourd - 1/2 cup cubed
- Pumpkin - 1/2 cup cubed
- Raw banana/plantain - 1/2 cup cubed
- Achinga payar/yard long beans - 1/2 cup cut into inch long pieces
- green chillies - 5
- shallots - 2
- coarse pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- Dry red chillies - 2
- salt - to taste
- Sugar/Jaggery - 1 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 1 tbsp
Soak the black chana/chickpeas overnight and pressure cook until soft and keep aside.
Grind 1/2 cup of coconut , green chillies, garlic and shallots into a coarse paste and keep aside.
Add the pumpkin,ashgourd,raw plantain and longbeans to a pan and add 1/2 cup water and salt to taste and cover and cook.
When the vegetables are 1/2 cooked add in the cooked chana and continue cooking until the vegetables are soft.
Add the ground coconut paste to the cooked vegetable and mix well.
Add in the pepper powder and jaggery/sugar and mix and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the curry leaves,dry red chillies ,1/4 cup grated coconut and coconut slices and fry on medium flame until the coconut is browned. Turn the flame off.
Add this fried coconut mixture into the curry and mix well.
NOTE: You can add other vegetables like potato,carrot,yam etc to kootu curry depending on what you have.