- Tomatoes - 3 medium sized chopped
- Toor dal - 1 handful
- Tamarind - lime sized ball soaked in water and pulp squeezed out
- Water - 6 cups
- Garlic - 5 cloves crushed
- Eastern Rasam powder - 4 tbsp
- Dry red chillies - 2 broken
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- whole pepper - 1 tsp coarsely crushed
- Cilantro/ coriander leaves - 5 tbsp chopped
- Jaggery / sugar - 1/2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
Pressure cook tomatoes, dhal and garlic in 6 teacups of water until it is broken down.
Add the tamarind juice and Rasam powder to this and bring to a boil.
Heat oil in a small pan and season with mustard, red chillies , crushed pepper and curry leaves .
Pour this over the rasam and sprinkle coriander leaves on top. Turn the flame off and add the sugar/jaggery .
Serve with rice.