- Chicken - 1 whole cut into medium big pieces.
- Onion - 4 sliced thin
- Tomatoes - 1 sliced thin
- Garlic - 1 pod peeled and sliced thin
- Ginger - 1 inch piece sliced thin
- Meat masala - 1 tsp crushed (cardamom,fennel,pepper,cloves,cinnamon)
- Mild Chilly powder - 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Potato - 2 peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- Tomato - 1 sliced into thick rounds
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Curry leaves - 3 springs.
Mix together the chicken , sliced onions, tomatoes, meat masala,salt, turmeric powder,chilly powder and coriander powder and cook it without adding water until the chicken is 3/4'th cooked (Do not overcook).
Microwave the potato slices for 5 minutes to cook it (don't overcook).
You could also boil it in salted water until almost cooked and drain and keep aside.
Pick the chicken pieces from the gravy on to a plate and keep aside.
Heat the 1/2 cup oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the cooked chicken pieces until it turns slightly brown.Fry all of the chicken pieces and keep aside.
Now fry the 1/2 cooked potato slices in this oil and keep aside.
Next fry the tomato slices and keep aside.
Mash the left over chicken gravy with the back of a spoon until the tomato and onion slices are blended into the gravy .(I sometimes run half of the gravy in the food processor - this gives a thicker smoother gravy)
Add curry leaves into the oil that you used to fry the chicken followed by the gravy and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add salt or vinegar to taste. If you prefer move gravy you can add water during this time.
Add in the fried chicken pieces and mix well.
Simmer for another 10 minutes, and garnish with fried potatoes and tomatoes.
Goes well with rice, chappathi, appam ,batura, idiappam , porotta,puttu or bread.