- Fresh fish - cleaned and cut into pieces( 2 pounds I have used Pompano/Pomfret/Akoli).
- Shallots - 6.
- Garlic - 8 cloves.
- Ginger - 1 inch piece.
- Curry leaves - 2 springs.
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds - 1/4'th tsp.
- Chilly powder - 3 tsp.
- Corriander powder - 2 tsp(optional).
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Cocum soaked in water - to taste.
- Salt - to taste.
- Coconut Oil - 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil - 1tsp.
Heat vegetable oil and add the fenugreek seeds.
When it splutters add the crushed ginger,garlic and shallot mix.
Saute for 2 minutes ,then add the corriander,chilly and turmeric powders and mix well.
Add in the cocum water and salt and an additional cup of water and bring to a boil.
Taste for salt and sourness and adjust the seasonings now.
Add the fish pieces into the boiling gravy and cook on medium flame until fish is cooked and gravy thickens.
Turn the flame off .
Add curry leaves and pour the coconut oil on top .
Cover and let the flavors blend.
This curry tastes better the next day .Cooking in a manchatti enhances the flavor.
There is no need to refrigerate the left overs .It can be kept outside for 2 days but you would need to warm it once a day .