- Sardines - 15 cleaned, washed and cut into 2
- Garlic - 2 pods peeled
- Ginger - 2 inch piece chopped
- Curry leaves - 2 stalks
- Green chillies - 5 cut into thick rings
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- chilly powder - 2 tbsp
- salt - to taste
- vinegar - 1 cup plus more to taste
- oil - 1/2 cup
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Marinate the fish in a mixture of salt and turmeric powder and fry until it is crisp. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp fresh oil and splutter the mustard and methi seeds.
Add the curry leaves , garlic, ginger ,green chillies and salt to taste and saute until garlic is slightly soft.
Add in chilly and turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
Pour in 1/2 cup of water, salt to taste and the vinegar and bring to simmer.
Add the fried fish and mix well.
Taste after an hour and adjust salt and vinegar as necesary.