- Chicken - 3/4 th kg with bone cut into medium/small pieces
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Onion - 3 large finely chopped
- Tomatoes - 3 medium chopped
- Green chillies - 5
- garlic - 1 pod
- ginger - 3 inch piece
- corriander leaves - 1 bunch
- lime - 1/2 of one
- corriander powder - 4 tbsp
- turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper - 1 tbsp powdered coarsley
- Green cardamom - 4 crushed
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp crushed
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- salt -to taste
make a paste of chillies ,ginger,garlic,corriander leaves and curry leaves and keep aside
Heat the Ghee in a pan and add the thinly sliced/chopped onions and saute until it starts to brown lightly.
Add the corriander powder,turmeric powder,pepper powder,crushed cardamom & fennel seeds ,salt and stir well.
Add the ground masala paste and saute for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken pieces and mix well.
cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
The chicken will give out enough water for the gravy - cook in its own juices ,if you see the mixture is drying up ,add 1/4th cup water and cook.
Once the chicken is cooked , squeeze juice of 1/2 lime and check for balance .
Season with more salt,lime,chilly if required.
Serve with rice/chappathi/pathiri etc.