- Chicken - Breast of 1 whole chicken sliced into long thin strips. Slice it at a diagonal after freezing the chicken breast.
- Soy sauce - 1.5 tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic - 6 cloves crushed and chopped very fine
- Chillies - 5 chopped very fine
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp chopped very fine
- Spring onion - 1 tbsp chopped fine
- vinegar - 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp for grilling /sauteing
For the peanut sauce :
- Peanut butter - 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk - 4 tbsp
- Chilly garlic sauce - 1 tbsp (or you can use 1 finely chopped ripe red chilly and 2 cloves of garlic)
Marinate the chicken strips in all of the ingredients mentioned in the chicken section except for the 2 tbsp of oil.(Keep that oil aside for sauteing/grilling)
Refrigerate and leave for an hour .
Meanwhile soak the bamboo skewers in water and keep ready.
Thread the chicken strips onto the skewers ,just like how you would stitch with a needle, brush the marinade on it and prepare a grill or saute pan.
I sauteed it on my chappathi tawa.
Heat the pan on high and add 1 tbsp oil and spread the oil around.(you might have to cook it in 2 batches)
Place the chicken skewers on the pan
Grill until cooked - The chicken pieces are sliced very thin so it only takes 2-3 minutes to get cooked.
Overcooking it makes the satay dry .Depending on the thickness of your satay cook the chicken until done.
serve hot with peanut dipping sauce and salad .
To make the peanut sauce - combine the peanut butter, coconut milk and chilly garlic sauce in a microwave safe dish or sauce pan and stir well.
Once the ingredients are well combined , cook or microwave until it has thickened . (About 2 minutes in microwave stirring in between).