- Large sized Shrimp - 8 Peeled deveined tail on , washed and patted dry
- Tomato - 1 medium cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Onion - 1 medium cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Banana pepper - 1 cut into 1/2 inch pieces on a diagonal
- Oyster sauce - 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tbsp
- Ripe red chillies - 5 chopped fine
- Garlice - 8 cloves chopped fine
- Tulsi/ Holy basil - 1 handfull of tender leaves
- oil - 2 tbsp
Keep all your ingredients ready before you start cooking .
Heat a large frying pan/wok on high heat.
Add oil and the chopped chilly and garlic and stir fry for a minute
Add in the shrimp and stirfry on high flame for a minute , Add 1/2 tbsp of oyster and soy sauce to this. The shrimp should be barely cooked and have sear marks on the edges from the high heat frying . This gives a toasty flavour.
Pick the shrimp from the pan and keep in a plate while you cook the rest of the ingredients.
In the same pan add the onion and banana pepper and tomato and continue stirfrying on high heat for a minute .Add in the remaining soy and oyster sauce and stir well.
return the shrimp back to the pan , add in the tulsi leaves and stir everything together on high heat for another minute .
Transfer the contents to a dish .
Add 4 tbsp of water to the frying pan and scrape up the sides and bottom of the pan and reduce it to about 2 tbsp.
Add this into the cooked shrimp dish.
Serve with rice .
NOTE : Adding water to the pan while the shrimp is cooking makes the shrimp boil and loose the grilled/toasty flavor , hence I added the water for the gravy after removing the shrimp from the pan.This way you get your gravy and don't loose out on the flavor