- ripe Jackfruit segments de-seeded and chopped - 2 cups
- Jaggery melted and strained - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 1.5 cups
- Rice flour - 1.5 cup (use as needed to make a very soft dough)
- Cardamom - 3 powdered
- Cumin seeds - a pinch powdered
- salt - to taste
- edana ila ,plavila ,vazha ila or aluminum foil - as needed
add the chopped jackfruit to a pan and cook until it is mushy , you can pressure cook it for a whistle and let the pressure escape on it own and use it.
when it cools down a bit add the grated coconut , melted jaggery,cardamom,cumin powders,salt and mix well.
Add in the rice flour slowly until you get a soft dough consistency . It should be softer than chappathi dough.
Make a cone shape out of the leaf you are using and fill in the dough .
wrap it around and secure with a tooth pick
Steam the kumbil appam for 25-30 minutes in a pressure cooker without the weight