- Chicken - 1/2 of 1 chicken (1.5 lb)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- ginger - 1 inch piece sliced
- garlic - 6 cloves sliced
- onions - 3 sliced thin
- Red chilly powder - 2 tbsp (use kashmiri chilly powder for bright red color and less heat)
- Cardamom - 4 whole
- cloves - 4 whole
- cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- Vinegar - 1.5 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Green chilly - 2 slit (optional for garnish)
- Butter - 1.5 tbsp (Optional)
- All purpose flour - 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Milk - 3/4 cup - Optional)
Cut,wash and drain the chicken pieces - use bone-in chicken with skin removed.
Add the chicken ,vinegar, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic and salt to taste to a frying pan and pour in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil.
Boil this covered for about 5 minutes. The chicken will only be about 1/4'th cooked.
Remove the chicken from the stock with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
Reserve the stock into another dish and keep aside.
Into the same frying pan add the oil and saute the onions until it starts to turn a light golden brown.
Add in the whole spices and saute for 2 minutes.
Add in chilly powder and stir-fry until it gets a dark red color.
Add the partially cooked chicken /ginger/garlic pieces and mix well.
Pour in the reserved stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce the flame to medium -cover and cook the chicken until the chicken is cooked and the gravy is thick- about 25 minutes.
NOTE : I tasted the curry at this point and was satisfied with the result , so I did not add the butter/maida/milk mixture to the chicken.
The recipe calls for mixing together the butter, milk and maida together and pouring into the simmering chicken gravy and warming thoroughly without boiling.I skipped that step.