- Tapioca/Kappa/Cassava/Yuca – 2 lbs cleaned,skinned and cut into small pieces.
- Pork or beef – 1.5 pounds cubed
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Garlic – 6-8 cloves chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece chopped
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Meat masala – 1 tsp(cardamom,cloves,fennel,pepper,cinnamon,star anise crushed)
- Corriander powder – 2tbsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves,sliced shallots,mustard seeds and oil for tadka
For the Meat curry:
Add oil in a nonstick pan and sauté the onion,ginger and garlic until slightly browned.Add in the coriander,chilly and turmeric powders and sauté .
Add the meat, salt ,vinegar and meat masala and mix well.Cover and cook without adding water until the meat is cooked.It should contain some gravy.
While the meat is cooking you can prepare the Tapioca.
Add the Tapioca pieces into a big pot of water and bring it to a boil and cook in excess water.When the tapioca is cooked well drain the water add salt to taste and set it aside.
Add the meat curry into the cooked drained yucca and mash with a heavy spoon.
Heat oil in a small pan and add in mustard seeds and when it splutters add in the sliced shallots and curry leaves and fry until golden brown .Season the mashed tapioca with this.