- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Beef - 2 lb cut into large pieces
- Curd - 3/4 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Whole spices - 4 cardamom,2 cloves,1 bay leaf,1/2 inch cinnamon stick ,5 whole peppercorns
- Onion - 2 medium large sliced thin
- Tomato - 1 large sliced thin
- Ginger - 1 inch piece crushed to coarse paste
- Garlic - 1 pod crushed to coarse paste
- Green chillies - 7
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- coriander leaves - 1 cup chopped
- Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
- salt to taste
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Biryani masala - 1 tbsp (crush together cloves,cinnamon,cardamon,Fennel)
Marinate the Beef with 1/2 cup curd , and 1/2 of the crushed Ginger and garlic plus 2 slit Green chillies and turmeric powder.Add salt to taste and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Soak the Basmati rice for 20 minutes while the meat is marinating - drain and keep aside.
Heat Ghee in a pressure cooker and add the whole spices and saute for a few secs.
Add sliced onions and saute until they start turning color about 8 minutes.
Add the remaining ginger and garlic and saute until raw smell is gone.
Add in the marinated meat and stir fry for 5 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until tomatoes are cooked.Add in the biriyani masala and remaining curd and the mint and coriander leaves and stir well.
Add in 2 cups of water and salt to taste and bring to a boil.
Add the drained Basmati rice and cover the cooker.
Once the steam starts forming put the weight on and keep on flame for 4 minutes (2 -3 whistles).
Turn the flame off and leave the cooker undisturbed for 25 minutes.By then the pressure would have released .Open the cooker and serve the biriyani hot with Salad, pickle and chutney
NOTE : The Beef we get in US takes very little time to cook.Adjust cooking times according to the type of meat you use.If you are using Goat meat you will have to precook the meat for 30 minutes (until it is 3/4'th done) before adding rice and pressure cooking.