- Chicken - 2 pounds cut into small pieces (skinless but with bones)
- Tomatoes - 4 sliced
- Onions - 3 sliced thin
- Pepper - 1 tbsp crushed
- Green chilly - 3 slit
- Chilly powder - 2 tbsp(mix of spicy and kashmiri chilly, if using spicy variety reduce accordingly )
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
- Garlic - 1 pod (15-20 cloves)peeled and chopped
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- meat masala - 1 tbsp (cardamom,fennel,cinnamon,cloves - crushed to a coarse powder)
- Oil - 4 tbsp
Wash and drain the chicken and keep aside.
Heat oil in a frying pan and add in the sliced onions and salt to taste, fry until it is light brown.
Add in the crushed pepper, meat masala, coriander powder, chilly powder and turmeric powder and saute for 5 minutes on low flame.
Add in the tomatoes and curry leaves and saute until tomatoes are cooked and oil starts separating.
Add in the chicken pieces and salt to taste and stir well.
Cook covered on meduim flame for 15 minutes.
Remove lid and stir , add in the slit green chillies, if the chicken has too much gravy - cook it in an open pan until it thickens and the chicken is cooked through and the gravy is thick.
Serve with rice or Roti.