- Shrimp - 2 lb (around 2 cups cleaned and deveined)
- Vinegar - 1/2 tbsp
- Chilly powder - 1 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Raw Mango - 1 medium sized peeled and cut into shrimp sized cubes
- Onion - 1 chopped
- Green chillies - 7 slit
- Garlic - 3 cloves chopped
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
- Curry leaves - 2 stalks
- Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Thick Coconut Milk - 2 cups
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- for tadka - 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 2 shallots sliced and 2 springs curry leaves
Marinate the shrimp in a mixture of chilly powder, vinegar and salt to taste and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a nonstick pan and fry the shrimp for 5 minutes until it is just cooked, if you overcook shrimp it turns out to be hard and rubbery.
Remove the shrimp and keep it aside .
To the same pan (and leftover oil ) add in the chopped onion,ginger , garlic and green chillies and saute for 5 minutes.
Add in coriander powder and turmeric powder and stir until raw smell is gone.
Add in the mango pieces and 1/2 cup water and cover and cook until mango pieces are cooked (about 10 minutes).
Stir in the cooked shrimp and add the coconut milk and mix well.
Warm the curry and turn off the flame.
Heat oil for tadka - splutter mustard seeds and add in the shallots and curry leaves and fry until golden brown , pour it over the curry and mix well.
Serve with rice or chapatti.