Nasi lemak is the national dish of Malaysia.In Malay Nasi Lemek means 'rice in cream'.Traditionally, this comes as a platter of food wrapped in banana leaf, with cucumber slices, salted dried anchovies, roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, and hot spicy sauce at its core.
Reminds me of our Pothi choru .Here is my version with ingredients that I had on hand.
Ingredients for rice:
- Basmati rice - 1 cup washed and drained.
- Coconut Milk - 2 cups.
- 1 piece of ginger and a bay leaf.
- salt to taste
For the Prawn sambal:
- cleaned prawns - 2 cups.
- Onion - 1 big.
- Tomatoes - 2 medium.
- ginger and garlic chopped - 1tsp.
- Powdered dry shrimp - 1 tsp(optional).
- soy sauce - 4 tsp.
- Chilly sauce - depending on how spicy you want the dish to be(you could use chilly powder instead).
add in the powdered dry shrimp and the soy sauce and chilly sauce and the shrimp and cook until done.It should be on the drier side with not a lot of gravy.