This is a quick pickle preparation .It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and it is best eaten within a week- as it gets older the mango looses its crunch.
- 1 Raw mango - cut into small pieces with the skin on .
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine.
- small piece of ginger chopped fine.
- 2 Green chillies chopped into rings.
- kayam/asafotida/hing - to taste.
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp.
- Methi/fenugreek seeds - 1/4'th tsp.
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp.
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
Cut the mango into small pieces and mix with salt and keep aside.
Heat oil , splutter the mustard seeds and methi seeds.
add the ginger,garlic and green chilly .
Lower the flame ,add in the hing and the chilly turmeric powders and stir well.
turn the flame off. Add in the mango pieces with the water that comes out of it into the masala and mix well.
If the mango is not sour add in a bit of vinegar. Once it remains for an hour or so the salt will draw out the juice from the mango , so you would not need to add any water.
Enjoy ...finish it up within a week.