- Raw papaya peeled and cut into small pieces - 2 cups.
- Green chillies -6 cut into rings,
- Ginger a small piece chopped fine.
- Garlic 10-12 cloves whole.
- Curry leaves - 1 Spring.
- Vinegar - To taste (1/2 cup) .
- Salt ,oil and mustard seeds.
Heat oil and add mustard seeds .When it splutters add the green chilly and ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds then add the papaya in and saute the whole mix for 1 or 2 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar and salt and bring to a boil and turn the flame off. Papaya should still retain a crunch (don't cook too much).
Adjust salt and vinegar to taste .Will be ready the next day.Best for up to 2 weeks then the papaya becomes soft.