- 1kg Fish - cleaned and cut(I used Mullet/kanambu)
- 1 cup coconut - ground to a very fine paste.
- Ginger, garlic and shallot (1 handfull total)- crushed .
- chilly powder - 2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- Green chillies slit - 4.
- Cocum/tamarind - to taste.
- 1 Tomato - cut into dices.
- oil , curry leaves,mustard seeds,methi seeds and sliced shallots for tempering.
Heat oil and add the crushed Ginger, garlic and shallot and saute until it wilts.
Add in the chilly powder and turmeric powder and saute .Add the cocum/tamarind water and bring to a boil.
Add salt to taste , and the fish pieces and cover and cook until fish is cooked.
Towards the last 5 minutes add in the diced tomato pieces and slit green chilly.
Add in the ground coconut paste and bring to a simmer.Turn the flame off.
In a frying pan heat a spoon of oil and add in mustard and methi seeds.
When it splutters add the curry leaves and shallots and fry until brown .
Pour this over the fish curry .