- Ripe Tomatoes - 3 medium chopped
- Garlic - 15 cloves crushed
- Dry red chillies - 5 crushed
- black pepper - 2 tsp crushed coarsely
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp crushed
- Rasam powder - 1 tsp
- Tamarind - lime sized ball soaked in water and squeezed to get the pulp
- Cilantro - 1 cup chopped
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - few
- Hing/Asafotieda - 1/4 tsp
- sugar - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Heat oil in a deep pan and add the mustard and fenugreek seeds.
When it splutters add in the curry leaves ,crushed garlic,red chillies, cumin and black pepper.
Stirfry for 2 minutes .
Add in the rasam powder and hing stirfor a minute.
Add in chopped tomatoes and sugar and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
Add in the tamarind pulp.
Add in about 8 cups of water , cover and bring to a boil.
Taste for salt, sour and spice balance.
Add in the chopped cilantro and stir.
Turn the flame off and keep the rasam covered for 10 minutes.
Serve hot with rice or have it as a soup