- Kani Vellari /Indian cucumber - 1 cup peeled and cubed
- Curd / Yogurt - 2 cups beaten.
- Ginger - 1 tsp chopped fine
- Garlic - 5 cloves crushed and chopped
- Shallots - 4 sliced thin
- Green chillies - 2 cut diagonally
- Dry red chillies - 2 broken
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- cumin - 1/2 tsp powdered
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
Add the cubed cucumber , 1/2 cup water , a pinch of turmeric and salt to taste and cook until the cucumber is soft. Keep this aside to cool. When cooled add the beaten curd and mix well.
In a pan heat the oil and splutter the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
add in the dry red chilly and curry leaves .
Add the shallots , ginger , garlic and green chilly and saute for 2 minutes.
Add in powdered cumin and turmeric powder
Saute until the shallots are golden brown.
Turn the flame off and pour this mixture into the curd cucumber mix and stir well.
Warm this on low flame for few minutes.
Do not simmer or overheat as the curd will curdle.
Serve with rice.