- Toor Dal 1/4 cup
- Tomato - 3 chopped
- Tamarind - 1/2 of a lime sized ball
- Rasam powder - 2 tsp
- Dry red chillies -4 crushed
- Garlic - 6 cloves crushed
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp crushed
- Black papper - 1 tsp crushed coarsly
- Jaggery (optional) 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- curry leaves - 2 springs
- Cilantro - 4 tbsp chopped
Pressure cook the dal with 2 cups of water until it is cooked to a paste.
Open the cooker and mash the dal with the water.
Add 3 more cups of water and chopped tomatoes and rasam powder and bring to a boil.
Simmer on medium flame until the tomatoes are cooked well.
Add in the Tamarind ,salt and sugar to taste.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a small frying pan and add the mustard seeds.
Add the curry leaves and the crushed dry chilly,garlic,pepper,cumin and asafotida/hing and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add this mixture to the tomato/dal mix and stir well.
Bring to a simmer.
Turn the flame off and garnish with coriander leaves.
Keep covered for 30 minutes for flavors to blend.