- chicken cut into smallish pieces - 1 whole.
- Onion - 2 medium chopped .
- Tomatoes - 2 chopped.
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped.
- Garlic - 10 cloves chopped.
- Curry leaves.
- Potatoes - 2 small cubed (optional).
- Meat masala crushed(cinnamon,cardamom,pepper,cloves,fennel seeds).
- Coriander powder - 3 tbsp's heaped.
- Chilly Powder - 1 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.
- salt and vinegar to taste.
Heat oil and add the ginger,garlic and onion and saute until slightly browned.Add the crushed masala and the coriander,chilly and turmeric powders and fry for a minute.Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until it starts disintegrating.add salt and chicken and mix and cook in a covered pan (don't add water- chicken has to cook in its own juice,if water is added the masala does not get into the meat)When the chicken is 1/2 cooked you can add the cubed potatoes and cook until done.
With rice you can have the chicken curry as it is with just some thick gravy.If you plan on having it with chappathi,poori etc add some coconut milk to this curry and adjust seasonings(salt and vinegar).I usually save half of the chicken in the thick gravy form and make a gravy out of the other half.