- Idli - 3 (you can use regular sized or around 12 mini idilis)
- chilled thick Curd (should not be sour ) - 1.5 cups
- Sugar - to taste ( approximately 2 tsp for sweet dahi)
- salt - to taste
- Green chilly - 1 tsp chopped
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp chopped fine
- curry leaves - 1 spring
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- split Urud dal - 1 tsp
- Hing/Asafoteda - 1/4 tsp
- dry red chilly - 1
- Gunpowder /Idli podi / dry idli chutney - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Beat the curd with sugar and salt to taste and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small nonstick pan and splutter he mustard seeds, add urud dal and fry until it becomes golden brown.
Add green chillies, ginger ,curry leaves and dry red chilly .
Fry until the chilly is crispy but not burnt/brown.
turn the flame off and add Hing.
Add this tempering to the beaten curd and mix well.
Keep in refrigerator while preparing the idlis.
Brush each idili on both sides with oil and sprinkle gunpowder/idli podi on both sides.
Heat the same nonstick pan and fry the idili coated with podi until slightly crispy on the outside.
About a minute or 2 on low flame turning sides occassionally.
Arrange the idili in a serving dish and pour the chilled curd mix on top .
Serve sprinkled with more gunpowder and garnishes of your choice.