- Fish - 2 slices of Black pomfret
- fish marinade - make a paste of ,pinch of turmeric powder,1/2 tsp of chilly powder and salt to taste
- Onion - 1/2 of one medium sized
- Red ripe tomato - 1/2 of one medium sized
- cumin seeds - a small pinch ( 1/5th of a tsp)
- Fenugreek seeds - a tiny pinch (5 fenugreek seeds )
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Asafotieda - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar - 1/4 tsp
- sugar - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Ginger paste - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic paste - 1 tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder - 2 tsp
- salt - to taste
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Wash and dry the fish slices , apply the fish marinade and keep aside for 30 minutes.
dry roast the cumin,fenugreek and black pepper with the Asafotieda for 1 minute.
add the roasted spices to the blender and powder it , in same blender along with the spice powder ,Make a paste of the onion,tomato,ginger,garlic,turmeric and chilly powder and keep aside .
In a nonstick frying pan add 2 tbsp oil + 1 Tbsp Ghee and heat it.
Add the fish and fry for a total of 4 minutes (2 minutes on each side ) Do not over fry or cook until the fish gets crispy .
Remove the fish from pan and retain the oil,ghee mixture .
Add the ground paste to this frying pan and add 1/2 a cup of water and cook ,until the masala is cooked and oil starts separating .
Add vinegar and sugar and enough salt to taste and check for balance . Adjust accordingly.
Add 2 tbsp of water and stir well.now add the remaining 1 tbsp of Ghee and return the fried fish to the pan . Cook for 2 minutes until the masala has coated the fish .
Serve garnished with cilantro,onion slices and lime wedges.