- Broccoli - 1 bunch(approx 1 lb) chopped
- Toor dal - 1/2 cup soaked and cooked (don't not over cook it should still retain a bite)
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1/2 of 1 chopped
- Green chillies - 4 chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Garlic - 2 cloves chopped fine
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
When it splutters add the curry leaves,chopped garlic, onion , turmeric powder and green chillies and saute until it starts turning light brown.
Add in the cut broccoli and salt to taste and stir fry for 2 minutes( Broccoli should not be overcooked , it tastes much better undercooked)
Add in the grated coconut and cooked dal and stir well for another minute.
NOTE : you can make a basic thoran in the same way without adding dal .