- Small shrimp - 1 lb peeled and deveined
- Garlic - 1 clove peeled
- Ginger - 1 inch piece chopped
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
- Chilly powder - 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 cup ( use as needed)
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies - 8 chopped into rings
- 1 tsp chilly powder ,1/4 th tsp turmeric powder and salt - to marinate the shrimp.
- Oil - to shallow fry the shrimp.
Marinate the shrimp in a mixture of chilly powder ,turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a pan and fry the shrimp until they are crisp - drain and keep aside.
This oil will have some masala in it - to splutter the mustard seeds you can either use 1 tsp of fresh oil or strain this oil and use it.
Heat oil and splutter the mustard seeds.
Add in the curry leaves,ginger,garlic and green chillies and stir fry for a minute.
Lower the flame and add in the chilly and turmeric powder.
Saute until raw smell is gone.
Add in the fried shrimp and saute for a minute.
pour in 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4'th cup water and bring to a boil.
Turn the flame off - add salt and vinegar to taste .