I have used bottle gourd instead of Indian Cucumber/Vellari . The taste is very similar.
- Bottle gourd - 2 cups skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Thick Sour curd/yogurt - 2 cups
- Mustard seeds crushed - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds whole - 1/2 tsp
- green chillies slit - 2
- grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- dry red chillies - 2 broken
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 spring
Grind the coconut into a fine paste and keep aside.
Cook the bottle gourd with salt and green chillies until it is cooked.
Add in the ground coconut paste and crushed mustard seeds and stir fry for few minutes.
Turn the flame off.Add the beaten yogurt and salt and mix well.
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds , when it splutters add the dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry until crisp.
Pour this over the curry .