- Black Chickpeas cooked- 1 cup
- Yam/Suran/chena diced – 2.5 cups
- you can use a mixture of raw banana and Chena- I did not have raw banana so used frozen yam instead.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- dry Red Chillies – 2
- shallots sliced - 1
- Jeera Seeds – 1/4 th tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
- salt – to taste
- Grated jaggery – 1/2 tsp
Add the yam pieces, turmeric powder,salt to taste and chilly powder into the cooked chickpeas and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
Grind the grated coconut and cumin seeds to a coarse paste.
Add this ground paste into the cooked veggies and stir well.
Switch off the flame and add the jaggery and mix well.
Heat oil in a pan add the the mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chillies and fry until browned.
Pour this over the kootu curry.