- Fish - 2 lbs (Use big fish like king fish,pomfret,pearl spot etc)
- Tomatoes - 2
- Onions - 2 cut into rounds
- Green chillies - 8 slit
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece chopped fine
- garlic - 1/2 a pod chopped
- Curry leaves - 2 springs
- Coconut Milk - 1.5 cups
- Coriander powder - 3 tbsp
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 5 tbsp
- To marinate the fish - turmeric powder, very little chilly powder,salt and vinegar
Marinate the fish in a mixture of turmeric powder, very little chilly powder,salt and vinegar and keep aside for 30 minutes.
Shallow fry the fish for few minutes (the fish dos not have to be cooked but just fried for 2 minutes )
Heat oil in a pan and saute the ginger,garlic,onions and green chillies.
Add in the turmeric and coriander powder and fry until raw smell is gone.
Add 1/2 cup of water to the masala and bring to a boil.
Add in the fried fish pieces and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add coconut milk and sliced tomatoes and cook for additional 10 minutes.
Add in curry leaves .
Vinegar can be added to taste if the tomatoes are not sour.
Serve with Appam , bread or rice.